How to protest a fine?

When a fine is issued, the offender will be summoned to court. At this moment the accused can dispute the fine.

How do I know if a person is allowed visitation?

In order to visit a detainee in any of the country’s detention facilities a formal request must be made by visiting the Public Prosecutor’s Office. The Public Prosecution Service will check whether there are visitation restrictions for certain prisoners. In the case that there are restrictions, the visitation request will be denied.

What documents are required when visiting the prison?

A visitor must present a form of identification (e.g. passport, ID).

When are visiting hours at the prison?

Point Blanche Prison:
Thursdays 9:00am-12:00noon and 2:00pm-4:00pm (Males only)
Tuesdays 9:00am-12:00noon and 2:00pm-4:00pm (Females only)

Philipsburg holding cells:
Mondays 9:00am-12:00noon and 2:00pm-4:00pm

How to retrieve property confiscated by the police?

A motivated request must be sent to the Public Prosecution Service with an indication of when and what objects were confiscated and the reason for retrieval. Don’t forget to mention your own contact details: where and how can we best reach you?

How to file a restraining order against someone who is harassing or threatening?

A restraining order cannot be obtained through criminal law, by extension the Public Prosecution Service, instead it can be obtained through a civil litigation. Contact a lawyer who can start legal proceedings in court.

How can I remove a tenant who refuses to leave my property by eviction or force?

Property disputes are Civil litigations. Country St. Maarten has a rent committee, which can assist with legal proceedings: / +1721 5420145 / +1721 5420154.

How can I file charges against someone?

An official complaint should be filed at the police department. Therefore visit the police station in order to file your charges.